VIA understands and shares our customers' and employees’ concerns about how personal information is collected, used and shared. We want to assure you that we will always handle personal information securely and carefully. We are committed to safeguarding your information. This means that amongst other things, we will comply with all applicable Australian privacy laws and ensure our team is aware of its obligations.
Why we collect information
We may collect information to deliver products or services to complete other transactions and to better understand our customers’ requirements and preferences. This information enables us to personalise and improve our service and, in particular, to provide offers that are of greater interest or benefit. We may use your information to do the following:
- contact you with important safety information regarding your vehicle;
- provide reminders that your vehicle may be due for an inspection or that your registration may be due for renewal;
- advise you of information which may be relevant to you, including store closures or openings;
- assist our internal marketing activities, including direct marketing, database compilation, analysis of demographics and the processing or creation of other marketing information;
- conduct customer surveys and individual follow-up calls, letters or emails enquiring as to your satisfaction with our products and services; or
- advise you of offers that we feel may be of interest to you.
How we collect information
When a customer places an order, makes a booking, provides feedback to us and/or registers their details with us, we store that information for future reference. This saves time when customers shop with us again, as we do not have to re-enter customer details. Sometimes we may add a customer’s personal information to information derived from external sources. This is mainly done to verify the accuracy of the information we have and, again, to personalise and improve our service.
What information do we collect?
The personal information we collect is in most cases supplied when customers register details, places orders or bookings or provides feedback to us. We also collect information regarding vehicles while performing inspections, some of which is a mandatory requirement of the Road Safety (Vehicles) Regulations (2009) and VicRoads.
Generally, the information we collect includes (but is not limited to) personal information such as: customer name, address, delivery address, phone number and email address; and vehicle information such as: odometer reading, registration number, model, make, vehicle identification number (VIN) and engine number.
We will not share your information with any third parties without your prior consent.
We will take all reasonable steps to store your personal information securely. We will also take all reasonable steps to ensure that only specific employees in our customer service, marketing, human resources, store systems and IT areas have access to our customers' and employees' personal information.
If you don’t want to receive direct marketing offers from VIA, please contact us directly.
Accessing and correcting your information
You can request access to your information, or that your information is corrected by contacting us directly.
Questions and complaints
Last updated: January 2014